I call myself a “frequently failing, but always aspiring minimalist.” There’s a powerful consumer drive inside of me, but I work effortfully to reduce its hold. Sometimes that means going to a store and picking up an item — temporarily — and then returning it to another shelf. I can be captivated by new things — quickly dreaming of what happiness they could bring.
When I’m really struggling to save money and stay minimalistic, I return to some favorite role models’ messages. The following are 8 of my favorite TED Talks on the subject of minimalism, living with less, and learning to love yourself in the process. Hope you enjoy!
1. Jon Jandai: Life is easy. Why do we make it so hard?
2. Mark Boyle: The Moneyless Man
3. Graham Hill: Less stuff, more happiness
4. Grant Blakeman: Minimalism — For a More Full Life
5. The Minimalists: A rich life with less stuff
6. Adam Baker: Sell your crap. Pay your debt. Do what you love.
7. Angela Horn: The Less You Own, the More You Have
8. Amy Henion: How can tiny houses offer the ultimate freedom to our generation?